Some familiar sources told BBC Sport that the Spanish two-time world champion, Fernando Alonso, 39, signed a deal to return to Formula 1 with Renault in 2021. Alonso left Formula 1 in 2018, and now he wanted to make a 3rd attempt to win the Indianapolis 500 in August.
Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso is set to return to Formula 1 with Renault in 2021. It will give him another chance to add new entries to the list of his best F1 drives, originally compiled by Autosport on his departure in ’18:https://t.co/KyUkLylZKk
— Autosport (@autosport) July 7, 2020
A spokesman for Renault said the team denied to give remarks on rumors. Alonso will make a partnership with Frenchman Esteban Ocon and replace Daniel Ricciardo of Australia, who is joining McLaren at the season end.
Why is Alonso rejoining F1?
Alonso said that when he left the game, he achieved much in F1 more than he dreamed of and time to achieve bigger things outside Formula 1. However, Alonso was in talks with Renault since November 2019. In May 2020, Flavio Briatore, his adviser, said that the legend motivated and prepared to return to F1.
Insiders say that they believe his time away from Formula 1 prompted him that no other motorsport comes near to the level of satisfaction likely at its peak. In 2021, teams must have to use the same cars as in 2020 as a result of a rule change introduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
A Stellar career of Alonso
Besides his two world titles, Alonso won thirty-two grand Prix, which puts him on the 6th on the all-time list, and observed as one of the supreme racing drivers in history. Also, he barely missed out on another three World Championships in 2007 with McLaren in 2010 with Ferrari and 2012 with even Ferrari.
Since starting a revival, McLaren finished fourth in the championship of constructors last year, overtaking Renault. Since leaving Formula 1, Alonso becomes the winner of the Le Mans 24 Hours twice, adding his victory in 2019 to his first win in 2018.